I hate asking for help. I always hated raising my hand in class to ask a question, I knew I could figure it out on my own. I stared down those kids who raised their hand while taking a test. Who are you?! That’s why it’s a TEST! Also, asking people to help me move, give me a ride to the airport, pick me up when I run out of gas, or watch my cats – makes me cringe a little to have to do it.
I guess I don’t always have a problem with it. Like asking to make me a snack. No big deal. Or bring me a glass of water. Or carry me the rest of the way home. Or bring me another snack. Ice cream. Hand me a puppy, please. Buy me something pretty. Or money, I can ask for money all day long.
Huh… I guess I don’t have as big of a problem asking for help as I thought. Then this will be a walk in the park for me.
I need your donations. I’m headed to Nicaragua to spend a week helping the underprivileged children there. My goal is raise the required $600 in a couple days. Click here to donate to Orphanage Outreach.
But if you’re feeling extra generous you could help in other ways. Like sending me stuff. I’m allowed to bring 2 suitcases full of stuff with me.
Here’s some stuff you can send to me:
Food (highest priority)
- Masa (corn tortilla mix)
- Pancake Mix
- Cream of Wheat
- Peanut Butter
- Plain Spaghetti and Elbow Macaroni
- Jelly and Jam
- Cake & Cookie Mix, Frosting, Sprinkles, Cupcake Paper
- Pudding and Jello Mix
- Dish soap
- Scrubbing pads and brushes
- Liquid hand soap
- Hand sanitizer (large bottles with pump)
- Can opener (HEAVY DUTY)
- Kitchen Aprons (Cotton – Heavy Duty)
- Shower curtains & rings – HEAVY DUTY!
- Tape: DUCT & MASKING TAPE
Clothing and Shoes
- Note: First priority is to bring clothing and shoes for children up to age 10, but all shoes and clothing will be utilized in the poor communities where we are working.
- Girls dresses
- Dress Sandals
- Jeans & pants
- Tennis shoes
- Sturdy sandals with velcro for boys and girls
- Underwear for boys and girls
- Socks for boys and girls
- Sweaters, rain jackets & windbreakers
- Pencils, erasers & sharpeners
- Notebooks: sturdy and bound (NO spiral)
- Whiteboard Markers & Whiteboard cleaner spray
- Copy paper
- Colored paper & Construction paper
- Arts and crafts supplies
- Multi-lingual games
- Working notebook computers
- Friendship bracelet making (non-elastic) supplies
- Laminator & laminating film
- Permanent Markers: Black & Coloured
- Bilingual Books for Children (Spanish-English)
- Super large children’s books in English or Spanish to read aloud to a large group of kids
Sports and Recreation
- Basketball nets
- Pumps for balls
- Pylons (sports cones)
Now if you’re thinking ‘Why waste gas getting in the car, driving around town, picking up this stuff, going to the Post Office, buying a box, cramming it all in there, spending money to ship it to you, when I could just send you cash?”
That’s exactly what I was thinking, I’m glad we’re on the same page. If you don’t want to waste all that time picking up stuff, you can send me money from right where you’re sitting. If you want, you can even pick out a certain thing that you want me to buy for them. Don’t care about sending oatmeal? You’d rather they have a purple-polka-dot-ball. Awesome. I’ll buy a purple-polka-dot-ball for them. It’ll be like I’m your own personal shopper. I know, this is fun! Then I’ll take a picture with that purple-polka-dot-ball and a child in Nicaragua having fun with it and send it you, making you feel all warm a fuzzy inside. All that happiness, just by getting your wallet out and clicking a few buttons. And don’t worry about making a huge donation. Every little bit you can send will help.
Just click that little donate button, it’s secure through PayPal, and you don’t even have to sign up for anything to do it. (Don’t sign in, just click Continue on the left side) Woo hoo!
One last thing, Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!
Update: Since neither one of the places tell you what my donation amount is up to, I’ll show you here.
For Orphanage Outreach: $110
For My-Fill-Up-My-Suitcase-With-Peanut-Butter-Goal: $220